Saturday, March 26, 2016

Customer Quilts - Around the Twist

I love getting customer quilts!   I especially like getting quilts from my favourite customer.....my Mummy!  No matter what I do, she always thinks my quilting is spectacular and I couldn't have done a better job.  I find this very good for my ego!  She also lets me do whatever I want to do on her quilts.

(edited April 11, 2016) Here are the finished quilts!  With binding.



I've included a few pictures of the very first of these 3 quilts I quilted for her.  I quilted this one on my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen.  I did it at one sitting and am very pleased with how it turned out.

 The rings were stitched in the ditch with a circular feather in each centre block.  
I quilted in the background around the rings with simple feathers.

The 2nd and 3rd quilts arrived in the mail recently.  I booked time on my machine (I don't quilt unless I book the time on my calendar!) and loaded the first one.  There is a slight problem when you put blocks on point and use a bias edge on the setting triangles.  I'll post something soon about putting blocks on point and not have bias edges on the outside.
  
The borders were sewn on well and the first quilt was fairly smooth and flat.  I chose to quilt each of the brown and the blue rings with a different feather fill.  
 I quilted simple curls in the inner border and a filled feather in the border.  

I stitched a ribbon meander in the background. 


The 3rd quilt in this series was a bit of a challenge.  The quilt looked square and when I loaded it the borders were nice and even.  The problem became obvious at the bottom left corner of the body of the quilt.  Mum had managed to sew on the two borders to keep the quilt nice and even, but the blocks were quite full at the bottom left corner.  Instead of doing something in each block, I chose to quilt an all over design.  I ended up with lots and lots of pins in the quilt to hold the blocks fairly flat and keep the inner quilt from getting all "wonky".



I started by quilting the inner border to keep the quilt square.  Simple "bumps" along the length.  

I then moved into the centre of the quilt and quilted bump flowers all over.



I finished in the border with a new (to me) bump feather.  


No comments:

Post a Comment