Monday, March 14, 2016

Longarm Quilting Retreat at Central Sewing in Edmonton

Woot! Woot!  I am so excited to be invited to Edmonton's Central Sewing (see page 13 in the newsletter) to teach at a Longarm Quilting Retreat.  Read below.  I sound so wonderful!!!!  


Longarm Quilting Retreat with Allison Spence
Spend 2 days learning, designing and creating! The days will include time to explore with paper and pen as well as plenty of stitching time on a Handi Quilter Avante. Allison will give lots of hints and tips to improve your quilting, no matter your skill level. You will go home tired, and excited to get quilting!

Friday April 22, 9am-4pm
  • Go beyond Meander and Loops Learn 5 of the basic shapes of free motion quilting and how to use them in your quilts. Practice stitching the basic shapes and the wide variety of designs that can be created by combining them. Learn how to recognize the basic shapes in any quilt motif and how to recreate them. This will be a full, fun-filled day with lots of time to practice quilting on the machines.

Saturday April 23, 9am-4pm
  • Feather Fun  Learn 3 methods of stitching feathers and have lots of time to practice stitching these fabulous designs. Discover how to create some lovely block, border and background designs and how to create your own style of quilted feathers.





This will be my first foray into teaching outside of Calgary in a long time.  I am looking forward to sharing with a larger group of quilters.

If you have never taken a class with me, here are some things you should know.
  1. I have only one rule in my classes:  ASK QUESTIONS!  I tell students to stop me and ask questions. If I plan to answer in a few minutes, I'll ask them to hold on for a few. Also, I know what I want to say, but sometimes those thoughts don't make it clearly out of my mouth, so I need to be reminded to speak clearly and slowly.
  2. I like my students to have lots of practice.  I do demonstrate techniques on a white board and/or a machine.  I believe that students learn best when they hear the information, when they see the information AND when they practice the information.  So we spend a lot of time with students in front of sewing machines stitching, stitching and stitching.
  3. I generally start with the basics, I want to see what students can already do.  Then we'll move onto more challenging content.  I believe that my job is to teach each student individually and improve his/her skills.  So, some students may be given a bit more information than others.  I want each of my students going home with that "I CAN DO IT" confidence.
  4. I like smaller classes.  I would rather teach two classes of 6-8 than one massive class of 12-16. It doesn't mean that I can't do larger classes, I just prefer the smaller groups with more hands on and individual attention.

Want in on this great weekend at Central Sewing in Edmonton?   Contact them right away as space is limited. South 780-469-1147

Want to plan your own quilting retreat with me?  Contact me directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment