Saturday, September 19, 2015

Quilt Retreat in Fruitvale BC

I spent last week with some lovely ladies at a quilting retreat in Fruitvale BC.  Fruitvale is on the highway close to Trail.  

We drove out on Saturday and spent the night at a "lovely" motel!  While 2 of my friends went out for a drive and some sight seeing, I spent Sunday morning doing a WonderFil Threaducation presentation to 15 other ladies.

I then spent the afternoon sewing 2 16 inch swoon quilts.  They are now bordered and ready for quilting.  I'll be quilting them with Konfetti/Tutti (50 wt cotton) and Spagetti/Fruitti (12 wt cotton). One I pressed the seams to one side and the other I pressed most of the seams open.  I'm kind of liking the pressing the seams open thing.

I may get to quilt this quilt.  We decided it needs another border...just something to give a bit more of a frame and to help manage the bias edges on the outside.  Sharon (not her in the picture) doesn't really like this quilt, so the challenge will be for me to make it something special with the quilting so she will like it.

We saw some wildlife.  Here is a gaggle of wild turkeys that were around the campsite we sewed at. 

 Of course we had to do some shopping, so a trip to the states was necessary.  They had the prefect fabric for the border of one of the retreater's quilt.  Just a scenery shot.

I think the trip for the border fabric was well worth it.

 Earlier this summer I took Wayne Kollinger's class on Disappearing blocks.  I had started with this goose block and cut it in  half.
 I then mixed them up and rotated the units a quarter turn to the left.
 I then tried turning them a quarter turn to the right.  Like that better.
 Brenda is so very proud of these two Hello Kitty quilts.  One for each of her grand daughters.  She'll be in to the studio soon to quilt them.
Our retreat was held at the Boy Scout Camp in Beaver Valley.  Lots of room to spread out to work on a quilt and to sew and visit.

 I have a tool roll that I take with my sewing machine.  I sewed myself a new one with a thread catcher attached to it.  Everyone liked it so I had to show them how it was done.

Here is a quilt made from 10" layer cakes.

A house coat....we weren't all quilting.

I finally got the binding on a few projects.  All I need to do is sit down and hand sew.

 I quilted and sewed an envelope to put my quilting samples in.  The goal is to have an envelope for each of WonderFil's threads and my 12" sample quilts sorted and stored by thread used.

 And room mates!  We had a great week.  Thanks girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment